Rainbow to the Rescue
(A guest blog post on ClarityisCrucial.com, home of Vanessa Velez!)
In my very varied career from Interior Designer to Color Consultant with side trips into Body Work, Healing Touch, and Feng Shui, I have always stuck with color as the main tool in my toolbox.
The colors of the rainbow correspond to those in our chakra system and thus perfectly suited to working with our bodies and etheric bodies in order to heal, move through challenges, and to clear blockages among other miracles.
Let’s take a quick overview of these 7 main rainbow colors, all while acknowledging the thousands of colors presented to us in any paint store!
There are still only 7 main colors, and indeed only 3 primary ones from which all the others arise, but let’s not get into a theoretical discussion yet! The only theory I will bring in at this point is that it is helpful to know which color lies across the color wheel from the color we are working with. This is because the complimentaries work together. If we have an excessive amount of color in our chakra system, we need to temper it by bringing in it’s opposite. How we do that will be covered at the end of this article.
- Red: (Base of the spine) One of the three primaries, red is the color that helps us ground and manifest. It is the color of our life force, the color of life itself and without it, nothing will happen. It is a color that speaks to us of our passions, of energy, of movement and action. If we have an abundance of red, we find ourselves challenged with anger issues, a quick temper, an ability to say cruel and scathing comments to others. To bring back balance, we would use the complimentary color of green to lessen those tendencies.
- Orange: (Sacral Chakra) A combination of red and yellow, orange is the color of bliss and creativity, of community and sharing. I love orange for the fact that it is quite healing for anyone who has suffered abuse, trauma or assault. I challenge you to find anyone who has not suffered at least one of these, even if in a small way. So orange is everyone’s ally for overcoming these things. If we have an overabundance, it can lead to eating disorders, a propensity to lie, or being an exhibitionist. Use blue to reign it in.
- Yellow: (Solar Plexus) Another primary, yellow is the color of happiness. Orange is bliss, yellow is happiness. It is the color of self esteem and ego, of assimilation of all kinds, and the color of our wisdom and ability to learn. An overabundance leads to being egotistical, stingy, controlling and argumentative. Use purple to rebalance this.
- Green: (Heart) A combination of yellow and blue, green is the color of nature, of the heart, of the healer, and it helps us find our direction in life. It reminds us of nature so it is a soothing color to most people and can make us feel more at home. An overabundance can cause jealousy, a gossipy nature, and a whiny, cruel personality. Use red to rebalance.
- Blue: (Throat) The third and last primary color, blue is the color of peace, truth, spaciousness, and integrity. We trust people who wear blue, and blue can make one appear to possess more authority than others. But is you have too much of it, it can cause stubbornness, arrogance, isolation, and a critical nature. To rebalance it bring in orange.
- Indigo: (Third Eye) The only tertiary color in the chakra system and rainbow, indigo resides at the third eye and is the color of intuition, higher mind functions, being able to channel or be psychic and looking within. This is a wonderful color to use for meditation and a spiritual Yoga/Chi Gong/Tai Chi practice. If you have an excessive amount, you will feel isolated, depressed, or be detached from reality. Bring in the color gold to rebalance.
- Purple: (Crown) A combination of red and blue, purple is the final color of the rainbow. It is the color of spirituality, and since it resides in the crown of our heads, it connects us most certainly to our Divine guidance. It is the color to use when we have suffered great loss, when we want to transform or transmute something, or when we are healing. Too much purple makes us suicidal, eccentric, elite. Use yellow to rebalance.
So how do we USE color?
This is why I love using color as a tool for healing and support for my clients, my friends, my family and my self: It is with us always.
- We need only close our eyes and imagine the color in our mind’s eye.
- We can use color breathing where we imagine the color around us and begin to breathe it in and out, filling our lungs and then our bodies with the color we need.
- We can use clothing, jewelry and other accessories, flowers, flower essences, essential oils, foods, music…
There are endless ways to bring color into our lives.
Generally, when I recommend a color to someone they already have something in their possession in that color. And if you need a color that you don’t like, you can wear it where you don’t see it: underwear or socks perhaps.
Or you can use Simply Color Sprays which I created and make just for that purpose of serving people with their color needs. They are made from charged water, essential oils, gem elixirs, and/or flower essences and so are all natural and so simple to use.
And best of all, with color breathing, you can do that anywhere at any time and no one will even know, which makes it a perfect tool to use as you stand in a line to check out of a store, or going through airport security lines…anywhere you are, color can be there also!
I hope you enjoy the power and blessing of colors each and every day of your life. Color is such a gift we have been given, easily accessible, very powerful, lovingly gentle, and transformative.
“Mere colour, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways.” – Oscar Wilde
Diantha Harris has worked with, studied, written about and played with color her entire life. She is currently living in Vero Beach, Florida and Big Bay, Michigan where she works with clients and continues to write, teach, and speak about color. The author of two best-selling books on color, Diantha is also the creator of her own line of color sprays made from essential oils. You can peruse a whole wealth of information on color, listen to free meditations, read her blog, or take a free color quiz at www.lifepotentials.net.
Check out her Simply Color Online Course here.
Pick up her Simply Color book – now on Kindle.